North Vancouver School District is a full-circle for me. I had to go away to find out who I was and find my place and what kind of Educator I wanted to be. Once I knew, the only place that I could be that type of Educator was at the North Vancouver School District. I love coming to my school every day!Deanna, Learning Support Teacher, NVSD Alumna
Come Learn, Share and Grow with Us!
The North Vancouver School District – “the natural place to learn” – provides world-class instruction and a rich diversity of engaging programs to inspire success for every student. We offer a wide range of programs and services, including our commitment to supporting the history, culture and traditions of our First Nations communities, outdoor learning and a variety of pathways to engage all learners. Bringing communities together to learn, share and grow, the North Vancouver School District values sustainability, inclusivity, accountability, creativity and collaboration and makes it “the natural place to work.”
Our 25 elementary and 7 secondary schools, 2650 staff and 16,000 students offer a safe and nurturing environment based on trust, respect, responsibility and collaboration. Are you a positive and motivated individual looking to learn, share and grow? Then North Vancouver School District is the place to start or continue your career.
Draw for Employees
In every classroom and in every Family of Schools, we recognize it takes a community to make a difference in the life of every student. From our support staff, to our teachers and administrators, to our management team – we value the contribution of every staff member in helping our students learn, share and grow!
Focusing on the future, the North Vancouver School District is forward-thinking in its pursuit of innovative practice. We are a provincial leader in curriculum development including programs such as Literacy 44, Math 44, CR4YR, and the NVSD Curriculum Hub. We are not content with the status quo and will seek ways to adapt and change if the “way we do things here” is not optimal for student learning. Constant reflection enables us to gauge the effectiveness of our practices at all levels and allows us to move forward in a positive and progressive way.
As part of the NVSD family, staff members have opportunities for ongoing professional growth and development. Some of the ways NVSD supports its employees include:
- Locally-developed and delivered in-service and training
- Ongoing professional development initiatives and offerings
- Comprehensive information and resources
- Employee wellness programs
- Mentorship Program for new teachers
- Unique to NVSD – TTOC’s accrue full-time seniority for every day they work and convert to continuing contracts after accruing one year or 190 days of aggregate seniority
Cheakamus Centre has been such a big part of my life for the last decade or more. It was where I found a lot of my friends in the earlier years, but ultimately where I found out who I was in the end.Genevieve, Grade 5/6 NVSD Teacher, Counsellor and NVSD Alumna
We offer a range of diverse programs to help our students succeed.
- Artists for Kids After-School Art
- Artists for Kids Paradise Valley Summer School of Visual Arts
- Band and Strings Program
- Early and Late French Immersion
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP)
- Indigenous Education (Elementary and Secondary)
- Cheakamus Centre – Outdoor School Program
- StrongStart; Ready Set, Learn; and Early Learning Foundations Programs
- Academy Programs: Artists for Kids Studio Art, Basketball, Dance, Digital Media, Field Hockey, Hockey, Lacrosse, Outdoor Education, Soccer, Volleyball
- Advanced Placement (AP) Program
- Career Programs
- Distributed Learning
- Experiential Outdoor Environmental Leadership
- French Immersion
- International Baccalaureate (IB) – Middle Years (MYP) and Diploma Programmes
- Peak Performance Program
- Performance Learning Program
- Semester System
- Young Entrepreneurship and Leadership Launchpad (YELL)
Salary and Benefits
Teachers on a continuous contract typically receive the following:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- teachers’ or municipal pension plan;
- extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- accidental disability insurance;
- salary indemnity plan benefit;
- supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
- comprehensive wellness and employee and family assistance programs.
- TTOC’s are eligible to purchase these benefits until they acquire a continuous contract
Allowances for Teachers
Teachers in positions with special responsibilities, such as first aid attendants, athletic coordinators, IB coordinators, counsellors, helping teachers, school psychologists, teachers in-charge, and department heads may receive a financial allowance of up to $7,300 annually.
Salary and Benefits for Support Staff
For all support staff, please refer to the Collective Agreement between CUPE 389 and North Vancouver School District for terms and conditions of employment, including salary and benefits.
From coastal beaches to mountain forests, “the natural place to learn” resides on the unceded traditional territories of the Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations. North Vancouver stretches from secluded Deep Cove to the mighty Capilano River, the rugged North Shore mountains to the bustle of Burrard Inlet. Schools surrounded by forests inspire memorable educational experiences that provide year-round, unparalleled learning opportunities in nature. From skiing in the morning to playing golf on the same afternoon, North Vancouver offers year-round recreational opportunities in nature’s ultimate playground.
North Vancouver’s rich cultural diversity is reflected in the multicultural backgrounds of our students, families and staff members. Each of our “Family of Schools” are located in North Vancouver’s various community hubs. Our sense of community abounds in the multitude of cultural, recreational and educational pursuits making NVSD the “natural place to learn.”
The Natural Place to Learn