Originally published on August 8, 2016. Updated December 15, 2016
Counselling Careers in BC Schools
Currently, there are 13 school counsellor job openings in BC schools. School counsellors can play a vital role in the school and home lives of students. Their work can affect the educational, emotional, social, and personal well-being of students. The nature of a school counsellor's role is wide-ranging, so the impact they have on students is significant.
In secondary schools, counsellors may be involved in developing strategies to advance educational achievement in schools. They may also work with teachers to promote anti-bullying programs and develop strategies to improve school safety.
In elementary schools, counsellors may work with learning support and school-based teams in tandem with parents and educators to coordinate interventions for students with behavioural challenges. In both settings, school counsellors provide advice and help students and families connect with community agencies to access support.
A school counsellor's role is especially important in critical incidents and when crises occur. In these sensitive situations, a school counsellor may liaise with external agencies to ensure that students and families get the services they need. With such an important role in the school, it should be no surprise that counsellors are in demand in BC. Currently, there are employment opportunities in almost every region of the province.
BC school counsellors typically have a Master's degree in educational psychology/counselling psychology and classroom teaching experience.
Current Job Openings
The following is a list of elementary and secondary school counsellor job openings in BC schools as of December 15, 2016.
- Counselling 0.1000 ÉTP – Delta – Conseil scolaire francophone de la Colombie-Britannique (School District 93)
- Secondary On Call Counsellors – North Vancouver School District 44
- Elementary & Secondary Counsellors – Positions available! – North Vancouver School District 44
- Secondary Teacher-Counsellor position – 1.0 FTE at Handsworth Secondary – North Vancouver School District 44
- Secondary School Counsellors – Richmond School District 38
- Counsellor – Secondary School – Surrey School District 36
- 2016-152 – Secondary School Counsellor (1.0 FTE) – West Vancouver School District 45
- 2016-153 – Secondary School Counsellor (1.0 FTE) – West Vancouver School District 45
Vancouver Island/Sunshine Coast
- 1.0 FTE. Elementary Counsellor – Alberni School District 70
- Elementary Counsellor (Temporary to June 30, 2017) 1.0 FTE – Nanaimo-Ladysmith School District 68
- Student Counsellor – Haahuupayak School (Port Alberni)
- 1.0 FTE Secondary Counsellor (Temporary) – Kootenay-Columbia School District 20
- Secondary School Counsellor – Central Okanagan School District 23 (Kelowna)
Counsellor job openings in BC schools are typically posted under the 'teacher/administrator' job category on the Makeafuture.ca job board.