International (Non-Canadian) Graduates - Make A Future

International (Non-Canadian) Graduates

Application Process for Non-Canadians

Non-Canadians who wish to work in Canada must hold either a temporary work permit or be a permanent resident of Canada. To obtain a work permit, you’ll need both a job offer and some assistance from your employer. There are a number of options to consider when obtaining a work permit, and applications are based on both a person’s citizenship and the job that is being applied for. Once a temporary work permit is obtained, you can apply to become a Permanent Resident.

Please note that the information in this section has been tailored for applicants seeking employment in the education field and is not a comprehensive immigration guide. Immigration information is constantly changing, and while we will do our best to keep this information up to date, we strongly advise that you seek further information via the Government of Canada Citizenship and Immigration website.

Work Permits

This section will help you to determine your options for obtaining a work permit. Generally speaking, if you have a specialized skill that is in short supply, you’ll have an easier time with the application process. There are many different ways to get a work permit and the goal is to find the most efficient and most appropriate option for you.

The main factors used to determine the options are citizenship, experience, education and the position being filled. The work permit types relevant to positions that are common to the education sector include:

Permanent Residence

There are many different ways to become a permanent resident in Canada.  One of the most common routes for employees wishing to apply for permanent residence independently is the Skilled Worker program. This program uses a points-based system where applicants receive points for a variety of areas including education, work experience, language skills in English/French, arranged employment and more. Details, including a self-assessment, are on the Citizen and Immigration Canada website.

No direct employer involvement is required to apply as a Skilled Worker.  If you are living outside Canada, you may have already initiated this process. If you are already an employee working with a work permit, you may request a letter from the Employer confirming employment to accompany the application.


Start your career in BC education

BC schools are now hiring. Find your job, career and calling in BC education!

Register / Log In Find a Job