Why Teach at West Point Grey Academy?
Established in 1996, West Point Grey Academy is one of Canada’s leading coeducational day schools, with students in junior kindergarten to grade 12. The campus is located on unceded Coast Salish territory on Vancouver’s Jericho lands.
Inspired by our rapidly evolving world, we are a model for schools in offering interdisciplinary, experiential programs and partnerships, with technology, entrepreneurship and global connectivity at the forefront. We are very proud to report a 100% Graduation Rate and 100% University Acceptance Rate since the school was founded in 1996.
Our Mission, Vision and Values
Inspired by our mission, Shaping Lives of Inquiry, Action and Joy, we aim to empower children to become the best versions of themselves. We provide an environment where a strong academic foundation is strengthened and balanced by our commitment to character building, global awareness, outdoor education, community service and healthy balance.
Draw for Employees
Teaching at WPGA is rewarding, collaborative and dynamic. Our Leadership Teams support our educators to teach with confidence, develop innovative academic and co-curricular programs, build meaningful relationships with students and families, and grow professionally.
WPGA is committed to promoting diversity in the workplace and encourages all qualified applicants to apply for our employment opportunities.
Our leadership team is committed to learning and development
Three times a year, our teachers meet with Leadership Team members to discuss their teacher growth plan. Teachers are invited to engage in regular open feedback throughout the year as well.
All teachers participate in annual professional development, which includes workshop and coaching opportunities in Vancouver and throughout North America. WPGA has hosted internationally recognized experts such as Kim Marshall (effective feedback), Patti Drobot (attachment theory), Peter Liljedahal (mathematics) and Nancy Young (literacy); and supported teachers to attend conferences in Arizona, Oregon and Texas and to pursue teacher and leadership training through Harvard Project Zero, Global Online Academy and the CAIS Leadership Institute.
Participation in partnership studies and initiatives with professors and departments at the University of British Columbia.
Community & School Culture
The WPGA school community is a very supportive family environment. We encourage faculty, administrative and support staff to be the best version of themselves, let their creative side shine and immerse themselves in our community.
The WPGA community has a strong culture of giving, notably through the annual Parent Volunteer Group Gala, the 2014–2015 We Live Here Campaign and the Shaping Lives Fund, our annual fund launched in October 2017. In its first year, our families generously donated $550,000 to the Shaping Lives Fund.
Our Unique Programs
WPGA has 18 Advanced Placement (AP) courses, such as:
- Integrated technology and digital citizenship program
- Global Studies Diploma Program, in partnership with UBC’s Liu Institute Member of Global Online Academy
- STEM courses, including engineering and robotics
- Outdoor environmental education program from grade 3, including grade 10 Wilderness Pursuits program
- Film and television program
- Daily physical education from JK; recreational sports in all grades
- Member of CAIS, ISEA and provincial athletic leagues; top-ranked junior and senior varsity teams in cross country, soccer, swimming, basketball, volleyball, golf, tennis, and track and field
- Fine and performing arts program, including drama, music, visual arts and industrial design; band or strings program from grade 3
- Extensive club offerings (50+), including internationally recognized debate, Model UN and public speaking clubs
- Leadership opportunities in all grades
- School-wide “spirit” houses
Salary and Benefits
WPGA offers a competitive base salary and comprehensive extended health and dental plans in addition to 100% MSP coverage. Other benefits and perks also include:
- Life and disability insurance
- RRSP-matching program
- Generous school holidays
- Maternity/parental leave top-up plan
- Emergency travel medical insurance
- Health & wellness
- Inclusive culture
- Health spending account ($600 per year)
- Healthy meals (50% discount on all food and beverages at dining hall and snack bar)
- Three personal days per year
- Free weekly yoga, spin and weight training classes; free use of fitness facilities
- Free 10-week mindfulness and stress reduction course
- Subsidized entry fee for BMO Half Marathon
- Individual annual meetings with financial and retirement planning professionals
- Staff social events throughout the year