We are an inclusive learning community that embraces diversity, fosters relationships and empowers all learners to have a positive impact on the world. Our mission is to work with our educational partners to inspire engaged, compassionate, resilient lifelong learners and cultivate a collaborative community together.
We are happy to boast that the Comox Valley offers many vibrant communities: from Denman and Hornby Island, Royston, Cumberland, Courtenay, Comox, Merville & Black Creek. The outdoors is our oasis and each community offers something special!
The Comox Valley is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K’ómoks First Nation. This is one of few places in the world where you may go ocean kayaking in the morning, cycle at lunch, downhill ski in the afternoon…here you will find a distinctive community with a rich history, magnificent natural beauty, quaint shops, arts, entertainment and plenty more!
We offer specialty programs in Careers/Trades, Fine Arts, Indigenous Ed, Montessori, Outdoor Ed, French Immersion, Distributed Learning, Nature Program, Special Ed & more! We also offer a program for international students and StrongStart, a family learning centre
School District 71 Culture
We value and believe in:
- Trusting relationships based on respect, integrity and ethical behaviour;
- A commitment to Truth and Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples
- Equity, inclusion, dignity, and acceptance for all
- Global awareness and environmental stewardship
- Innovation, creativity, problem-solving, and critical thinking
- Accountability and shared responsibility
- Open and engaging communication
- Celebration of learning
Why School District 71?
SD71 is an inclusive learning community and as an employer, we welcome energetic and enthusiastic individuals who are interested in working in a progressive environment. We are proud to offer the Work 2 Wellness Program: committed to educating and supporting employees and their families in various lifestyle areas. In addition to providing employee discounts, our W2W program includes various employee events: 12 Days of Fitmas, Learn 2 Run, Knit 2 Wellness, After-School Yoga, TC10K Team, Appy Hour Celebrations and more. Come and enjoy our mild climate, friendly communities, vibrant cultural life and unparalleled opportunities for outdoor recreation!
Teachers, management and support staff looking for work in the the communities Courtenay, Comox, and Cumberland can find jobs at Comox Valley School District, the second-largest employer in the Valley!
Salary and Benefits
Teachers typically receive a comprehensive benefits package including:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- teachers’ pension;
- extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- accidental disability insurance;
- salary indemnity plan benefit;
- supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
- employee and family assistance programs.
Learn more about teacher salaries with the Salary Finder tool. For specific details about Comox Valley’s compensation, salary, and benefits, please refer to their collective agreement on the BCPSEA website.
Keep Learners at the Centre