Agreement on Internal Trades Makes it Easier to Pursue Jobs in BC

You may have heard of the Agreement on Internal Trade – but what does it have to do with you?  If you are a teacher or member of another certified profession or occupation, this new national agreement now makes it easier for you to apply for a job anywhere in Canada.

For example, if you are certified as a teacher in Ontario, you can apply for a teaching certificate in British Columbia knowing that you will qualify and will not need to complete additional courses or exams.

You will still need to apply to the BC College of Teachers for a certificate, which involves submitting an application form, transcripts, assessment letters and consent to a criminal record check.  However, if you currently hold a current valid teaching certificate from another Canadian jurisdiction and meet the College's "standards of fitness" – standards ensuring that you are morally fit to work with children – you will be granted a BC teaching certificate.

It's a similar situation for other regulated professions and occupations. Tradespeople certified under the Red Seal standard, for example, will automatically be recognized as qualified workers in BC and will no longer need to apply for a BC certificate from the Industry Training Authority.

The Agreement on Internal Trade came into effect on April 1, 2009.  Under the terms of the agreement, all workers certified to practise a profession or occupation anywhere in Canada will be granted similar certification in any other province or territory without having to complete additional training, work experience or exams.

It's all part of an effort to make full labour mobility a right of all Canadians – giving people the ability to live and work where they choose.