Teaching Careers in Special Education
There 19 job opportunities for special education, hearing resource, and learning assistance teachers in BC schools.
16 school districts are hiring, and they are seeking teachers with a Masters of Education in Special Education or an equivalent diploma. Educators with certificates in deafblind education and ABA therapy are also in demand.
Special education teachers support students with a range of disorders and impairments. This includes learning, behavioural, and developmental disorders, such as autism and Down syndrome. Special education teachers also support students with cognitive, motor, hearing, and visual impairments.
Special education teachers are adept at using assessments, and creating Individual Education Plans (IEPs). They collaborate with classroom teachers and school based teams to adapt educational materials and facilitate interventions.
Special Education Teaching Jobs
The following is a list of teaching opportunities in special education. There are career opportunities in every region of the province.
- Learning Support Teacher – Kootenay Lake School District No. 08
- District Resource Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing – Vancouver School District No. 39
- Integrated Support Teacher – Priority Entry Program- Qualicum School District No. 69
- Integrate Support Teacher Life Skills – Qualicum School District No. 69
- Learning Assistance Teacher (LAT) – Peace River South School District No. 59
- Temporary Part-Time (0.8) Learning Assistance/ELL/Behavior Intervention/Support/Programming Teacher – Peace River North School District No. 60
- POPARD Teacher – Delta School District No. 37
- Learning Support Services / Aboriginal Education – Abbotsford School District No. 34
- Special Education Coach – First Nations Education Steering Committee
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired – North Vancouver School District No. 44
- Special Education Teachers – North Vancouver School District No. 44
- Orthopédagogie – Conseil Scolaire Francophone School District No. 93
- Special Education Teachers on Call – Sooke School District No. 62
- Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing – New Westminster School District No. 40
- Special Services Resource Teacher – Fort Nelson School District #81
- Teacher of Deaf and Hard of Hearing – Surrey School District #36
- Learning Assistance teaching position – Campbell River School District #72
- Hearing Resource teaching position – Campbell River School District #72
- Hearing Resource Teacher – Deaf and Hard of Hearing – Burnaby School District No. 41