Current Job Openings
In partnership with our diverse communities, School District 84 will provide all students with a quality education relevant to the demands of a modern society.
Each school is located in a community with a unique identity and history. Our district resides in the traditional territory of the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations, who are working to build strength and capacity for their children’s future. We are proud to represent the traditions and knowledge of the Nuu-chah-nulth in our schools.
We are located on the rugged west coast of Vancouver Island. Three of the schools are in remote rural communities accessible by logging roads and/or water taxi. Our district serves a diverse community, of which approximately 50% are First Nations. This district is well suited to individuals who want to be fully engaged in their community and enjoy access to wilderness pursuits.
The Nootka Sound Outdoor Program (NSOP) allows students to earn credits toward graduation while engaging in wilderness pursuits and contributing towards traditional and modern stewardship projects. This unique board-authorized program, offered outside the regular school timetable after school and during weekends and holidays, provides students the flexibility of choosing activities that interest them at their comfort level. The program is free and exclusive to Grade 10-12 students and students can earn up to 8 elective credits each year towards graduation.
Gold River Secondary School Grade 12 students with high academic standings are eligible to take part in the Dual Credit program, offering students the opportunity to take one or more college courses as part of their graduation program. For these students, we build into their timetable the ability to take courses offered by Distance Education through North Island College. Advantages for students in this program are an opportunity to trial college-level course work while still in a familiar environment, opportunity to take a lighter load in their first year of college or university and significant savings as course and textbook costs are reimbursed by the School District when courses are successfully completed.
Our schools provide the support and learning opportunities that enable our students to have the skills and capacity to succeed as students and to pursue their career plans. Many of our classes are multi-graded and represent a diversity of student needs. The board and the district make a priority of placing resources and services at the school level.
Draw for Employees
Our district offers you the opportunity to be an integral member of the community. We value employees who enjoy a remote and rugged lifestyle and who are dedicated to making a commitment to the students in our schools. The community truly values those who are making a difference for their youth.
Salary and Benefits
Teachers typically receive a comprehensive benefits package including:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- teachers’ pension;
- extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- accidental disability insurance;
- salary indemnity plan benefit;
- supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
- employee and family assistance programs.
Teachers working in School District 84 may receive an annual Remote Recruitment and Retention Allowance plus an Isolation Allowance (subject to location) and a SIP Allowance, in accordance with the Collective Agreement. A moving allowance is paid to teachers accepting their first appointment in the District. In the event that a new position of special responsibility is created, eligible for Union membership but not covered by the Collective Agreement, the Working Relations Committee may recommend what, if any, allowance over and above salary, might be paid before the position is filled.
Learn more about teacher salaries with the Salary Finder tool.
For specific details about Vancouver Island West’s compensation, salary, and benefits, please refer to their collective agreement.
Recruitment and Retention Incentives
Current vacant enrolling teacher positions are eligible for a pre-employment signing bonus of $10,000 in return for a successful candidate accepting a job offer for the positions. The successful candidate must be an enrolling BC-certified teacher or enrolling teacher eligible for and pursuing BC certification, and must be a new hire or eligible rehire.
Bonuses & Allowances
- Moving allowance available – $721.43 for Gold River, Tahsis and Zeballos; $1082.10 for Kyuquot.
- Annual isolation allowance available – $3,442.99 for Kyuquot and $1848.18 for Tahsis and Zeballos.
- Annual Remote Recruitment and Retention Allowance available for all teachers – $2947.00.
- Monthly salary indemnity plan allowance of 2.0% of salary earned each month.
- Annual personal professional development allowance plus three paid and three unpaid days of leave for professional development activities.
- Nine-day, two-week School Calendar with every second Friday being a day away from regular classroom activities (either pro-d, curriculum implementation, not in service, or stat).
- Opportunities for development and growth are provided.