District At A Glance
- Number of Schools26
- >Middle School4
- >High School3
- Number of Students11300
- Number of Employees1300
Apply To District
Login or register to apply for job opportunities in this school district
Current Job Openings
Teachers & Education Leaders
- Technology Education Teacher on call
- 0.63 Grade 8, French Immersion (Monday, Wednesday 9:35am -2:00pm, Friday) Effective September 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 or the return of the incumbent whichever is earlier, in whole or in part
- 0.2 School Psychologist (Wednesday)
- 0.37 Grade 8 French Immersion (Tuesday 8:45am-1:10pm, 2:00pm-2:50pm, Thursday 8:45am-1:10pm and 2:00pm-2:50pm. “position contains dead time”
- 0.2 Kindergarten French Immersion (Wednesday)
- 0.37 Learning Assistance French Immersion Grade 6-8 (Tuesday- All day or flexible day, and Thursday 8:45am-2:10pm). Effective September 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 or the return of the incumbent whicheve
- 1.0 Grade 4 French Immersion
- 1.0 Inclusion Support and Learning Assistance, and Literacy Intervention Teacher, French Immersion
- 0.323 ADST – Food Studies “French Immersion preferred” (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 12:50pm-2:50pm)
- 1.0 District Teacher for the Deaf and hard of hearing
Management & ProfessionalsView All
- District - Student Engagement Facilitator
- Bus Driver
- Education Assistant On-Call
- Senior Budget Analyst
- NA’TSA’MAHT CLASSROOM PROGRAM ASSISTANTS ON CALL
- Noon Hour Supervision Assistants On-Call
- Custodial On-Call
- Nature Kindergarten Early Childhood Educator On-Call
- Bus Drivers On-Call
We strive to enable all students to realize their potential and to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to contribute to a healthy society and a sound economy — both today and in the future. We are committed to improving student learning by:
- improving student transitions (i.e. grade to grade and grade 12 completion)
- improving achievement in numeracy
- improving achievement in literacy.
We offer students a broad range of learning opportunities from kindergarten through grade 12, including Aboriginal education, advanced placement, award-winning music programs, AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination), career programs (culinary, carpentry and cosmetology), continuing education, dance, soccer and hockey academies, a fine arts focus school (elementary), K-12 French immersion, an international student program, a middle school program and PACE (Program for Academic and Creative Enrichment).
Our district is located on southern Vancouver Island, adjacent to Victoria, with approximately 25 percent of our residents living in rural areas. We boast a mild climate and spectacular scenery. The district’s educators and support staff are well trained and highly experienced, and our graduates pursue post-secondary education locally and throughout North America.
Approximately 9 percent of our students are Aboriginal and 7.5 percent are in French Immersion programs. As a growing community, we expect to see an increase of 1,000 students by 2013. We are excited about offering our students a growing number of choices and programs.
Draw for Employees
We are committed to attracting and retaining a highly skilled and motivated workforce. We are proud of our warm, welcoming schools, and you just can’t beat our climate and unlimited access to year-round recreation. This is one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations AND it’s a great place to work!
Salary and Benefits
Teachers typically receive a comprehensive benefits package including:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- teachers’ pension;
- extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- accidental disability insurance;
- salary indemnity plan benefit;
- supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
- employee and family assistance programs.
Teachers in positions with special responsibilities, e.g. department heads, teacher consultants, teacher coordinators, counsellors, psychologists, alternate school teachers, speech pathologists, may receive a financial allowance of $2,000-$4,000 annually.
Teachers working in remote and rural schools may also receive a recruitment allowance, and an annual retention allowance. Learn more about teacher salaries with the Salary Finder tool.
For specific details about Sooke’s compensation, salary, and benefits, please refer to their collective agreement.