Current Job Openings
Teachers & Educational Leaders
- 1.0 FTE Continuing full-time Secondary Counselling position
- TEACHER TEACHING ON CALL - PRINCETON
- 1.0 FTE Continuing full-time English Language Arts Grade 4 to 7 and Prep teaching position
- TEACHER TEACHING ON CALL - MERRITT
- 0.5 FTE Continuing Speech-Language Pathologist
- 0.20 Temporary part-time Itinerant Counselor
- 1.0 FTE Temporary full-time Princeton District TTOC teaching position
- 1.0 FTE Temporary full-time Merritt District TTOC teaching position
- 1.0 FTE Continuing Full-Time Student Support Services Teaching Position
- SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST - MERRITT
- Relief Bus Driver - Merritt
- Education Assistant
- Relief Clerk Typist - Merritt
- StrongStart Coordinator - Merritt
- Temporary Education Assistant
- Temporary Education Assistant
- Noon Hour Supervisor
- After School Program Assistant- Merritt
- After School Program Coordinator- Merritt
- After School Program Assistant-Princeton
Our mission statement reflects our values of student achievement, effective relationships and effective instruction: “School District 58 (Nicola-Similkameen) will work with families, schools and communities to develop the knowledge, skills and positive attitudes of all students.”
The two distinct communities of Merritt and Princeton are joined by highway 5A, which curves through beautiful ranchland and around numerous lakes. Both communities are approximately three hours from Vancouver, with quick freeway access to the Okanagan and Kamloops regions. Reflecting our multicultural diversity, our district offers language instruction in two First Nations languages and Punjabi, as well as ESL and French immersion.
We offer a range of learning opportunities for students including middle schools, an independent directed studies program, a continuing education centre, adventure tourism program, AVID and a regional distributed learning center. A teacher-student laptop program and secondary alternate programs are available. Students’ educational experiences are enhanced through diverse programs in fine arts, trades, athletics, and a K-12 French immersion that is offered in Merritt.
Our two communities are located in the Similkameen and Nicola Valleys. We offer peaceful community living in close proximity to exciting urban centres. Caring and passionate district and school personnel have developed strong relationships and partnerships with parents and the community, resulting in innovative, supportive educational programs. Our unique multicultural community fosters acceptance and cooperation
Draw for Employees
Our employees enjoy a reasonable cost of living and opportunities for a wide range of outdoor and cultural activities in our communities and in larger neighboring cities. Staff development focuses on improving instructional practice, expanding the use of assessment for student learning and developing skilled leaders. Our staff are committed to working together to provide the very best educational experience for each child.
Salary and Benefits
Teachers typically receive a comprehensive benefits package including:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- teachers’ pension;
- extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- accidental disability insurance;
- salary indemnity plan benefit;
- supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
- employee and family assistance programs.
Teachers in positions with special responsibilities, e.g. department heads, teacher consultants, teacher coordinators, counsellors, psychologists, alternate school teachers, speech pathologists, may receive a financial allowance of $2,000-$4,000 annually.
Teachers working in remote and rural schools may also receive a recruitment allowance, and an annual retention allowance. Learn more about teacher salaries with the Salary Finder tool.
For specific details about Nicola Similkameen’s compensation, salary, and benefits, please refer to their collective agreement.