Current Job Openings
We are dedicated to:
- providing quality educational experiences for young people, including active partnerships among students, parents, teachers, staff, the board and the community;
- maximizing students’ academic, social and vocational potential; and
- helping students develop a lasting respect for learning and a lifelong desire to explore new ideas and experiences.
We also believe in the importance of continuously evaluating the school system and regularly reviewing and assessing procedures.
We offer a very popular international program, the Gulf Islands School of Performing Arts (GISPA), the Saturna Ecological Education Centre (SEEC), Ace-It programs and many other successful school-based initiatives. Our district promotes and supports constructivist teaching methods, cognitive apprenticeship, situated learning and other learning approaches that take into account natural learning processes. Professional development and professional growth are well supported.
Gulf Islands Community
Our district culture is welcoming, accepting and encouraging. We support positive risk-taking on the part of our staff members and our community when it is done to provide or improve learning opportunities for all students. We embrace and support best practices in modern learning.
Our school district is home to people of many different cultures, including 70 to 80 international students each year. The islands are the traditional home and ceremonial, fishing and hunting territory of a number of Coast Salish First Nations. Our community deeply values diversity, and a love for differences is, ironically, what we have in common.
Draw for Employees
We offer a true learning community where each employee has real input and is made to feel part of a team. We expect excellence from our employees, and, in turn, support excellence. The beauty of our region, health of our professional learning community and progressive view of education make us a great destination for the 21st century teacher.
Salary and Benefits
Teachers typically receive a comprehensive benefits package including:
- medical, dental, and extended health plans;
- group life insurance benefits;
- teachers’ pension;
- extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
- accidental disability insurance;
- salary indemnity plan benefit;
- supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
- employee and family assistance programs.
Teachers may be entitled to receive a financial allowance for positions of special responsibility, isolation/remote locations, and moving/relocations. Learn more about teacher salaries with the Salary Finder tool. For specific details about Gulf Island’s compensation, salary, and benefits, please refer to School District No. 64’s collective agreement on the BCPSEA website.